Friday, October 8, 2010

Mad Scientists!!

The other new 4th grade teacher and I decided yesterday that we were going to do Science together today and make it a Fun Friday! The topic in Science this week was Matter... the three states... measuring matter... etc. Well, teaching density wasn't the easiest concept so we decided we'd do some experiments around that concept and the kids LOVED it! I feel like they actually learned a lot and got something out of it!
One of the labs was water vs. rubbing alcohol - which is denser? They had a cup of each liquid, a penny, and a dropper. They had to predict the amount of drops they thought it would take to cover the surface on both and then figure it out... thankfully everyone figured out it took more drops of rubbing alochol! :) These some of my students busy at work! (Yes, I have identical twins in my class and the only was I know which one is which is because one has a freckle on his neck!)
The next lab was sink or float? We had 8 objects that they had to make predictions about... some of the items surprised them! :)
Their favorite seemed to be the layering liquids activity... We had corn syrup, colored water, oil, and rubbing alochol. They were in awe when they just sat on top of eachother!! It was such a great feeling watching the kids so into it and wanting to watch again and again. Some of my students come from pretty low income families and this I know will be something they will remember! :) Check out their smiles!
(I hope the blurring them out thing is enough/appropriate for privacy??)

I guess Science isn't SO bad!

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment