Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Oldest 25 yr old in the World!!!

Lets first clarify that this is Zach talking here and not this ever popular Ashley....

On Friday I did something that most people do at 50. I went in for a colonoscopy and a upper endoscopy. The military had diagnosed me with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) but never did any tests or procedures to confirm this. So for the past 3 years or so I just avoid certain foods such as brocolli, cauliflower, spicy things etc. Doing this and trying to keep my stress level downs as well as medications has helped but I would get a bad stomach ache atleast once weekly. So before my medical coverage ends on tuesday I asked the military to do something to confirm the diagnosis. They agreed that a colonoscopy/endoscopy was the best thing.

On Wednesday I had to drive to Palm Harbor to see Dr. Amin and he agreed to do the procedure on very short notice. Wednesday night Ashley and I went to dinner at Outback but we went really early, 530pm. After leaving there at like 630pm I didnt eat anything else that night. On Thursday I was not allowed to eat anything at all. I was to only be on a liquid diet. This really sucked pretty bad. I was drinking sprite and eating jell-o and werthers all day. At 5pm that night I had to take 4 Dulcolax (laxative) pills, which I think just helped the process. At 3am on Friday morning I had to get up and start drinking the "mixture" (gatoraide and miralax). This really really sucked. It doesnt take long for a whole bottle of miralax to take effect, I will spare you the details. My good friend Gordy was a great sport and took me to the procedure and brought me home. I was completely knocked out during the procedure and therefore remember absolutely nothing. If you are 50 or whatever age the doctors reccomend a procedure then go do it and dont be too scared. Its really not too bad, just not something you want to do on a annual basis. Ashley wanted me to blog about it, so here it is. I am sure she will get on here and add pictures and correct my grammer, but baby gets what baby wants.

~~~Sechrist Out~~~

1 comment:

  1. I don't think we want any pictures!!! haha! By the way your "mixture" was not as bad as some of the "mixtures" they can give you! We used to give our patients this big gallon jug of salty stuff! Talk about gross! :)

    ReplyDelete