Monday, September 21, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect?

.... if that's the case I hope the rest of this internship goes better than it did today! I mean I guess it could've gone worse... a LOT worse, actually, but it wasn't good! Today was my first full day alone in the classroom. In the morning my math lesson went pretty well. I guess because they are all still half asleep!? lol. Anyway, as the day went on the crazyness in the classroom grew. One student didn't take his medicine and that really changed the vibe of the class because every two minutes I was having to deal with him. I, again, feel like a failure and it's just SO frustrating I can't get through anything without stopping 100,000 times! I feel bad for the students who are doing the right thing and listening because I know it has to be annoying!I've tried everything I've been taught the past FIVE years in school and these kids really just don't seem to care. I almost cried when my mentor teacher was talking to me after. I know she's frustrated with me that everything isn't going perfectly and that I don't have total control, but I really am honestly trying my best! She gave me some ideas and I'll try them tomorrow.

I usually go to the library after I leave the school for about 30mins. to get stuff done, and right after that I called my mom. She has been teaching for 33 years and of course she let me know it's okay and I'll get better. :) I love my mom! She also gave me some ideas to use because she is in a Title 1 school just like I am and knows how these kids are.

Well... I'm done ranting! lol. I just opened a bottle of wine so it's time to wind down a little bit and grade some papers... Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day! ( my fingers are crossed!)

-Ashley

1 comment:

  1. First off, grading while you are drinking.. Probably not the best idea....Not to say I haven't done it.. .LOL

    Second, this is my second year in the classroom and I still don't have it all together... You should come in my room in the afternoon. It gets nuts!! :)

    Third, it won't be perfect the first time...Shoot...Springli has been teaching for YEARS and YEARS...And your mom too...

    Fourth, Dara came in my room and taught a lesson this afternoon and I was shocked at what she got my kids to do... ;)

    Oh well...Another day tomorrow... :)

    ReplyDelete