Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Great Elk Search!

My Sunday morning started at 6:30 when my alarm went off. I made it to the refuge by 8 and the class got in the vans to start our search for elk at about 8:15. We ended up seeing elk right off the road not too far from our starting point. They made us get out, count them, and we talked about them for a long time! I was so cold!!! They said we got pretty lucky that the elk stayed in one place for so long and we were so close to them. We then were on our way and got to go behind the closed gate! That part of the refuge is usuallyonly used for research, but these classes get special permission to go. There is a total of 59,000 acres that is used for the sole purpose of making sure these animals have somewhere to live! It's pretty cool.

We got out of the van a lot and looked around and "called" for the elk, but we didn't see many more up close and personal. There were a lot off to the distance, and the occasional buffalo, but I didn't get too many cool pictures! They must've been sleeping or trying to stay warm some where!!

Stopped by "Prairie Dog Town"... I want one!!
This little guy walked up to me and said hello. :)

"Now we're going to look at scat" - my instructor. GROSS!
Elk poop on my table... and I know how to tell a male from a female pellet...

A female elk... which is called a cow!
Anyway, I'm exhausted. I've been up too early seven days and counting! Thankfully this week is Fall Break! I will go to 3rd grade Mon and Tues... Wed I'll be there, but the kids won't be.. and then Thurs/Fri I'm off! All next week I'm back at the university for lecture so it will be an easy two weeks. Yay! Zach is off next weekend with me and that really excites me! We haven't had a day off together in awhile!
My sister in law Leigh Anne is getting induced on Wednesday!! Pray for her and my soon to be nephew Caleb that everything goes smoothly and that they are both safe and healthy! :) I'm so excited for her and her hubby Josh!!! Wed. is also my parents 31st anniversary... what a good day it will be! Have a nice week everyone!
-Ashley

2 comments:

  1. read this post while eating pizza. Wasnt really ready to see elk shit.

    Congrats to the new member of your fam! Let me know how it goes! =)

    -Angela

    (Ya, forgot to log into my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, you make me laugh! 1. Where or for that matter who else would ever take an elk class...only you and only in OK. 2. What do people think when you take random pics...the fact that you take some of the pics that you take is almost as funny as the pic or story itself!

    ReplyDelete