Sunday, August 16, 2009

Scary Mud Daubers!

I have been afraid to use the front door for about a week now because a "mud dauber" decided to build it's nest right on our door frame! We had this problem earlier in the summer and Zach sprayed it and knocked it down with a broom the next day, but while he was gone the nest came back! These things are NOT cute and are REALLY scary! Luckily Zach came to the rescue again today and knocked it down after spraying it a few days ago, but this time we noticed there were little spiders inside of it... I did some research and learned "Adults of both sexes frequently drink flower nectar, but they stock their nests with spiders, which serve as food for the mud-daubers’ offspring." Umm ya so now there are paralyzed spiders in our yard and flying around somewhere is an upset wasp! I was to busy "helping" Zach take care of the situation to remember to take pics of my hero, but I did find a picture of the twin to my "little friend".




Thank goodness for husbands, or I'd be using the back door for the rest of my life... one even made it into the house before he left for GA and I trapped it in the room and waited for Z to get home to kill it. I'm such a chicken! lol. I didn't think it would be possible to write so much on a mud dauber, but I'm sure I'll be having nightmares for the next week thanks to them! :)

-Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment